Saturday, May 4, 2013

The Beest and the Puppy

Having a blast with Strider and babydog here. Her name is now Olivia (she isn't the Maisie sort) and she's happy to be alive and discovering. Beest, however, is a cranky old Victorian spinster. Mexican standoffs galore, though I think Beest only "got" poor Livi twice. Livi has taken Strider for a walk (they did 5 miles yesterday).

Otherwise, I've been a vegetable and it's been really nice. Lasagna is soaking. I've never used rice-only flour to cook with, so that's all new. But I have to say the nongluten bread I got is fab. Rice flour is my next culinary frontier. I made dunplings over chicken soup and they have a curious almost pastry texture. Very easy on the stomach though, and I think with an egg added next time they'll be good. I have an experiment in the fridge, too.

This really was what I needed after the crazy weeks. Just hangin'. Lotsa laughs from the puppy and Strider, who carries on a running dog's-view (or Beest-view) commentary.

It's a very pretty budding-Spring day.

May the Fourth be with you too. :)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

An experiment in the fridge....not one of those little dishes with green fuzz on it I hope lol.
So you're going gluten free. It may be a bit of a challenge. Keep us posted with some recipes.

Geo. said...

Glad you had an enjoyable day, Austan! And does that last line mean it's Star Wars day too? I loved that film because we could take our kids to it when it showed in '77 or '78 and we could all just lose our cares in it. Uncommon for a film of that decade as I recall. We went over and over!

Lisa said...

Very happy that you're finally able to have a relaxing weekend! If anyone needs it - it's you. Geo... Yes, May 4th is Star Wars Day. And Monday is Sith Day! :)

MoonRaven said...

Glad that you're able to hang and laugh and relax with Strider and puppy. Sorry your previous weeks were so crazy but it's good to hear things are mellow now.

Austan said...

Lawless- will do! I just have to figure out rice flour's properties.

Austan said...

Geo.- it's one of those films you can see over and over and never get sick of, too. The 70s were a strange time for movies, weren't they?

Austan said...

Niecely- it was fab. And Strider cleaned the place up like nothing ever happened, even the dishes. I think the floor hasn't been this clean in ages.

Austan said...

Moony- thanks, yeah, totally relaxing and laughing like lunatics is good for us. I hope you get some soon.

MunirGhiasuddin said...

I am so happy that you are having a good time with Strider. The month of May has taken a good start. We are expected to have rain, but I guess we need it.