Saturday, December 1, 2012

Il Neige!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wheeeeeeeeeee!

The flakes are so tiny you can barely see them fall. But they are falling, and they are sticking and it's beautiful! Not enough to be much of an issue, just enough to frost everything with a powdery white topping. It's one of the things I love about Vermont, sitting here by the window, watching the snow fall.

Some other wonderfulness: our Lawless has put a permanent link to the Windham County Heat Fund info on her front page!!!  http://mybabyjohn.blogspot.com/ I didn't even notice til this morning! Thank you Lawless!

It's 3 weeks to Solstice, 24 days to Christmas, 1 week to Hannukah. Get busy time! I have projects up the wazoo, with decorating being the biggest deal. This year I'm doing it up, even outside hoohah. I've ordered the few things I'll need to make the Marley doorknocker (I'll ask Stevil to post a pic when it's up). All the presents that are in-house already are wrapped and the packages to be shipped are ready to go with Gal Friday on Tuesday. Good shape so far.

In the spirit of the tradition of Christmas ghosts, here's some spooky footage taken in a famously reputed haunted house:
http://www.ghosttheory.com/2012/11/29/the-1992-barmby-ghost-footage

Well I've spent the last 40 minutes sitting here staring out the window more than writing anything. Time to get going. There are onlt about 5 hours of light left and I've got some things to do. Later!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy decorating. We had snow here last night as well...the trees are all flocked with it but I notice that it is starting to melt off the roads already.

Elephant's Child said...

Ooooh snow. Jealous thoughts. I went outside (briefly) this morning and started to drip before I had collected the papers.
Question: Did my cheque arrive yet? I do hope so.

Austan said...

Lawless- it's melted from the roads here too, now icy. But it's stayed on the lawns. It feels like Christmas is coming!

Austan said...

EC- it really is beautiful. Good grief, is it that hot already? !!!
I've sent an email asking if it's arrived, will let you know soon as I do. And thanks again, EC!

Austan said...

EC- there's no way to email you but here's what I just got from the guy at the Heat Fund.

"Yes with a nice card.
Could not use it.
Stamped NON-NEGOTIABLE on it.
Bank would not take it.
We had no clue who sent it after we lost the envolope.
I destroyed the check.
Let her know she has 50 bucks.
If she wants to sent another one that would be great."

So that's what happened. So sorry for the trouble!!

Elephant's Child said...

Oh bottom. I will indeed send another cheque, and will cross out the not-negotiable (which is on all my cheques). Can you repost the address and details please, pretty please - I am too lazy (and disorganised) to hunt them down again.

Austan said...

EC- Thank you dear, but even if crossed out, a check that's stamped "not negotiable" won't be cashed by a bank. Far as I know, anyway. A "not negotiable" check is a dummy check, usually used as a duplicate of a real check, right? I think you should call your bank and find out what the story is behind those not-negotiable checks...

The Heat Fund address is:
The Windham County Heat Fund
c/o Richard Davis
679 Weatherhead Hollow Rd
Guilford, VT 05301

Elephant's Child said...

Bottom again. Here, a not-negotiable cheque means one which has to go through a bank account to be cashed. They are not dummy cheques, but provide an additional (supposedly) level of security. I will have to go through all my cheque books and see if I can find one not stamped that way. Another difference in our culture I have found...

Austan said...

EC-Wow!!! There's no such thing at all here. Fascinating. So are there different sorts of cheques to use for different purposes? We must talk more about these differences, I'm so interested!

Elephant's Child said...

A small glitch, and delay. All of my cheques are stamped not negotiable at the moment. When my next cheque book arrives BEFORE I stamp them, I will write another cheque. I am so sorry for the delay, but am sure that the money will be useful whenever it arrives.

Austan said...

EC- You're a sweetheart for putting up with this hassle and my ignorance. And yes, the need will never go away. Neither will the Heat Fund, they're training up the next generation. :)

Elephant's Child said...

OK. I have found a cheque without not-negotiable printed on it, and written another cheque. I will post it tomorrow and, hopefully this time, we will have lift off.