Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Hunting Season

Not only is it 15 days since I quit smoking, it's officially the middle of September, which means- start shopping! Because not only are Yule, Channukah and Christmas coming, but there is a cluster of birthdays before them. 5 in October, 3 in November, 4 in December. Much of my evening hours are spent searching...searching... for that elusive gift that says, "I know you well" and "I wouldn't have this in my house but I know you'll love it!" I aim for the gift that makes one exclaim, cry, or laugh, if I can find it. So my strategy is to start early. That way the $ hardship isn't horrific, I look at many things before actually purchasing and I'm well organized.

Which is a pretty key thing these days because age is showing. If I get very focused on something, the rest of the world is unseen to me. My eyesight gets blurry when I read for very long and double vision is irksome. My memory is getting suckier. And like my mother, I'm developing dizzy bits. If I close my eyes and breathe slowly it passes, but it's really annoying. This and the new world of legs doing whatever they want is slowing me down in all sorts of ways. So being organized in as many areas as possible helps keep frustration and hissy fits away. If I can plan ahead, I'll have everyone covered, know what's going to happen financially, and that makes for a happier Austan. I'm still so much bitchier without tobacco that I have to do minesweeping. I can get nuts with frustration. And I really don't want to punch myself again. So I keep calm and websearch on...

"Night gathers, and now my hunt begins. It shall not end until January 2nd. I shall make no debt, hold no layaways, forget no children. I shall swear no terms and win no delayed payment plans. I shall live and die at my keyboard. I am the debit card in the darkness. I am the watcher of the websites. I am the shopper that finds the bargains of men. I pledge my stubbornness  and wallet to the Autumn Hunt, for this night and all the nights to come."


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

SANTA........

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Think of all the extra money you will have now that you don't have to buy your smokes.

I have been buying some things all year for the holidays. Now the test will come - what did I buy, for whom did I buy for, and where did I put them.

Geo. said...

Austan, take care of yourself --don't overdo. I overdid and have been rendered imbecilic. But "...I pledge my stubbornness and wallet to the Autumn Hunt, for this night and all the nights to come..." is pure Bronte. Where'd those girls shop? Great post!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Good for you on staying off the smokes. Don't worry; the bitchy feeling will pass. Good luck with the shopping. For the first time ever, I actually bought some gifts for THIS Christmas before LAST Christmas. (I'd already finished for last year, and then found some stuff I knew our daughter would love. HAD to buy 'em.)

Elephant's Child said...

We have far too many birthdays between the end of November and the end of January. So yes, I too start early. Though I have only bought two gifts yet. Two down, a squillion to go - or so it seems. I hear you on the recalcitrant body and mind front as well. Take care.

Austan said...

Arleen- an extra $360 a year! People make fun of me for shopping early! I put them in boxes and just hope I remember who was getting what.

Austan said...

Geo.- that's actually a parody of The Night's Watch Oath from George RR Martin's Game of Thrones. Glad you liked it!

Austan said...

Susan- Thanks. I really hope it passes.Things will just fly out before I can shut my mouth... And wow, man, I bow to your organizing.

Austan said...

EC- This holiday is going to cost me about $400 USD. And about $250 in food and drink. The birthdays, who knows, I haven't sorted them out yet. They're running 10-40$ range this year. I wish there weren't these clusters.