Friday, August 3, 2012

Recess is Over

Well, that was nice. I ate strangely and read a lot of A Dance with Dragons. I watched Youtubia in a stream of consciousness way. Found this goodness:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsNlcr4frs4
Learned that before you have a stroke you smell burning toast.
Fasted on Lammas, thinking of that saying, "When you're full, remember what it is to be hungry."
And I discovered a tv show I actually like, "Perception." I'd avoided it like the plague but it's not bad at all.
I did nothing but bare essentials.
Didn't answer emails or return calls.
Of course, that didn't mean anyone else slowed down. I have a lot to do come Monday. Fridays in the Summer are useless to get anything serious done. I'll ease back into things over the weekend, do the family catchups, answer the emails.

One thing I know is that people have to take a break from writing books. I have too many friends and acquaintances with books coming out, month after month. Really, this has to slow down. I can't read that fast anymore because if I do I don't recall anything. And they add up expensewise. So quit publishing until 2013. I should be caught up by then.

Speaking of, I saw a review of Michael Lloyd's book here and found out that another guy from the Magickal Childe years has also written a wayback machine book
http://culture.pagannewswirecollective.com/tag/bull-of-heaven/
I don't think I've seen Wasserman since 1995. I emailed him once years ago; he didn't reply.

And Wayne Kernochan's been banging books out like no tonorrow. I just ordered this one
(this is the Kindle version)
http://www.amazon.com/Out-Darkness-Memoir-Series-ebook/dp/B007OL73HQ/ref=dp_kinw_strp_1

There's a new ELP bio coming
http://www.amazon.com/You-Wanna-Play-Some-Magic/dp/095664208X/ref=wl_it_dp_o_piT1_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=R1S6QJTSJPGI&coliid=I2A9E8BAH2FZM9
And of course Greg's full book-form autobio will be out at the end of the year.
So yeah, everyone take a break. I recommend it.
I'll be back later with news.

19 comments:

Geo. said...

Hello! Your blog popped up in my reader just as I was about to hit the hay. Good! Hope you enjoyed brief estivation.

Elephant's Child said...

Welcome back. I missed you.

You are doing really, really well if you think you will be caught up on your reading by 2013. I am thinking 2023 - if no-one publishes or gives me another book. Aaah, I should stop complaining. Books are a never ending source of joy.

Anonymous said...

Hey....welcome back. Are you all relaxed and calm and peaceful?

Cathy Olliffe-Webster said...

Hahahahaha - good to see you haven't lost your sense of humour! Welcome back to the rat race!

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Glad you enjoyed your Laura Time.

Austan said...

Geo- it was a good estivation. Everybody should estivate now and then. :D

Austan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Austan said...

EC- Thanks! Books are a joy! I don't mean to kvetch, but jeez, I can't keep up!

Austan said...

Lawless- I'm kinda goofy. It's really great to get away from the news and not do anything important. I didn't manage to get entirely out of the loop, but close...

Austan said...

Kathy- And the rats are winning! :D

Austan said...

Arleen- Yeah, it was nice to take a break and it's good to be back, too. I missed you guys.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

I've given up on EVER catching up on reading all the books I want to read. (Doesn't mean I'll stop trying, though!)

Thanks so much for your kind comment about my mother-in-law. I do appreciate it.

Austan said...

Susan- Yesh, I'll never get thru Recherche des Temps Perdu, or all of Shakespeare's works. I'm just rtying to read what friends have written and that's more than enough!

You take care of yourself, sweetie. It's a tender time for you all.

MoonRaven said...

I'm glad you took some time for yourself--I hope this leaves you refreshed and renewed--and with a firm desire to take things at a leisurely pace.

Life is to be enjoyed, not rushed through.

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

"Learned that before you have a stroke you smell burning toast. "

Oh thanks Austan. I have toast every morning, and now I'll never be sure that I'm not stroking out. Just fills my day with joy.:=)

CarrieBoo said...

I agree that friends need to stop writing books so damn quickly. Though the kindle is invaluable for this! Good luck catching up. :)

Austan said...

Moony! It's the pressure of New England Summer. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D

Austan said...

TSB- Glad to spread joy whenever I can. :) As long as there's real toasting happening, don't worry.

Austan said...

Boo- what is it with everyone jumping into action at once? Can't we all just coordinate a little?