Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentines Schmalentines

Another overrated holiday is upon us. I've never understood how a martyred saint's feast day turned into a lovers' holy day of obligation. But it has and is, and we must bear with it or try to ignore it. Not that I'm a total cynic when it comes to romance. Let's just say the banana truck of romance has run me over too many times for me to get very psyched at its appearance and I run like hell to get out of its way.

It's fine for other people. But not for me.

So Happy Valentine's if you like that sort of thing. If you don't, please join me in ignoring the hype and getting on with your day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am of the "any excuse to have some fun" school of thought. We sent a package in the mail for the grandkids. I know we could have dropped it off on Beaver night but kids like to get stuff in the mail. We never have bothered with the day for ourselves but we always remembered our parents and our daughter and now, of course, the gk's. I remember one year, I hauled out the Christmas tree and turned it into a Valentine tree. Loosen up Laura...have some fun with it.

Geo. said...

"...never understood how a martyred saint's feast day turned into a lovers' holy day..."

I think it's rooted in Lupercalia. Not so aerobic but same time of year.

CarrieBoo said...

I am with you in spirit as I don't like my actions and sentiments to be dictated by Hallmark and grocery store shelves. B and I don't bother with it, but now with Roz at school -- everything is blown up into a huge deal. I am being dragged into all these holidays. So today, I will try my hand at baking muffins and get Roz to make daddy a card. That's my effort.

Saying all this, I love you anyway, you fruit cake. Bee mine. LOL.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

From the writers of cards, to the printers, to the little old white haired ladues in the Hallmark stores, Valentines Day keeps them employed. That is a good thing.

SarcasticTestGuy said...

Valentine's day = Blech.

Happy day to all