Monday, February 27, 2012

Fall Down, Go Boom!

The Walker's dead; long live the Walker. Yes, Wally the Walker gave up the ghost, dumping me ass over teakettle this afternoon. It happened in a fortunate way, at least. In the middle of feeding the cat I bent sideways while sitting on it and it threw me like a horse. My head didn't hit anything on the way down and the only real injury seems to be to the right shoulder it dislocated the first time that wheel bent some years back. That time it threw me forward, this time backward. I'm done with Wally. Hurt me twice, get outta my house.

Scared the cat, too.

It was expected anyway. Even after having it professionally repaired it was never straight again, and throughout the Irene excursions it was bending more and more. Wally and I have been together for nearly 5 years. One of us had to get dumped.

So Gal Friday will take Wally to the Community Room tomorrow and maybe someone who tinkers can fix it for someone who needs one. I already found a replacement on Amazon and it and all the cat supplies will be ordered on Thursday. Funny thing, ordering the same damn walker now through them will cost me less than what I paid 4 years ago; I paid 125 bucks then, with Medicare paying the other half. The new walker is $118, shipping included. Of course, it'll have to be assembled. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Til it gets here, I'm on the pretty butterfly cane I got for Greg Night. Not so comfortable with leaning on a sore shoulder but that's life. Who knows, maybe I'll get used to having a cane by Thursday and my walker days will be over. I kinda doubt that, but stranger things have happened...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well at least no blood was spilled.

Austan said...

I'm good at falling. Lotsa practice. ;)

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

Go with the cane.

See if you can get a cane made of Rowan wood. Scottish tradition says that such wood scares away witches.

It worked for my Mother-in-Law. She used it and I didn't see her for 12 years.

(She wasn't a witch really. She was too scary for them.)

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Amazon always ships very quickly; they are the best. Hope this one will be perfect for you. Till then, don't go far.

Austan said...

TSB- Hahaha! :D

Arleen- Thanks, and as they say, from your lips to gods' ears. I won't be going anywhere.