Sunday, November 6, 2011

Patsy, Darling

To me, the best thing about the 90s was Absolutely Fabulous. There is nothing that will ever take its place. It broke all rules, giving an almost-entirely female cast full rein to be outrageous.

Of the 5 female lead roles, the one I love most is Patsy Stone, Edina Monsoon's best friend and heinous human being. Patsy is irredeemably awful, a hopeless lush and tyrant. But what she says is striking truth, often the kind of funny that leaves a grim aftertaste.

This winter, there will be 3 new AbFab episodes. Everyone is older- AbFab was first shot 20 years ago- but I'm sure, no less bitter. Can't wait to see what The Girls are doing in the '10s.

Meanwhile, Patsy's recreator is Joanna Lumley, who's a pretty straightforward speaker and activist. She, like Patsy, is a former 60s model and Bond Girl. Unlike Patsy, she is passionate about social causes. And today's Guardian ran a good interview of her:

  http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2011/nov/06/joanna-lumley-absolutely-theatre-interview

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid I have no clue what "Absolutely Fabulous" is/was. However, when anyone asks me how I am, that is what I tell them.

Austan said...

Oh, Lawless, you must catch up to them sometime. Just hilarious!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

I used to get a kick out of that show, too. Since we older broads tend to tell it like it is without censoring ourselves as much as we used to, I can only imagine how much more outrageous (and fabulous) the new episodes will be.

CarrieBoo said...

I should have known you would know this one too! Ab Fab.

Austan said...

Susan- They're the Lucy and Ethel of our generation. ;)

Austan said...

Carrie- Of course! Ab Fab holds a place in my heart.