Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Names Named

The police have finally released the names of the victim and the killer, which most of us knew hours ago.

The victim, Michael Martin, was just starting at my workplace when I retired. He'd been hired as a Sales Manager, to oversee the department managers and make changes. The shooter, Richard Gagnon, I've known for 16 years. Not well, he wasn't a buddy. But I remember when he was building that wine department from nothing and how successful it became. I know his wife, too, and am most concerned about her right now. It's tough when you don't know the people well, just for a long time... what to say? Do I say anything at all?

Rumors swarm about the reasons behind it. We know the truth, but it won't make a difference to tell it.

And all day I've gotten calls and emails, vultures circling for tender morsels so they can gossip and show they know something. Things like this really bring out the best in people.

I'm gonna go alter my mind.

8 comments:

MoonRaven said...

I am so sorry to hear this. It sounds beyond awful.

I loved Brattleboro when I was up there--I will now send as much love and healing as I can toward Brattleboro.

Love and healing to you also--it sounds like you could use it.

Austan said...

Thank you Moony. We need all the love and healing we can get right now. This is a nightmare for all.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Even though you didn't know the shooter's wife well, I think a short kind note of support might be welcomed by her. Even a "thinking of you" sort of thing. Her life just turned to feces, and she could use all the support and encouragement she can get.

Austan said...

Thanks Susan. That's what I'm going to do- just a "Thinking of you" note. There is so much behind this, and one person should be ashamed to show either of his two faces. At least a number of us know the deal, and can support each other. 2 families and a whole community are devastated.

annieoatcake said...

Thinking of you, too, Laura. Hope you're feeling a wee bit better.

Austan said...

Thank you Annie. It's getting better, just takes time to let the shock wear off. The anger is a different matter.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

We hear about violence that is happening all the time, and pray it does not come our way. I am so sorry that this tragedy has touched you and those you know.

I will never understand man's inhumanity to man.

Austan said...

Starting, Thank you. Man's inhumanity to man is the source of much that happens, and a great cause of things like this going on...