Friday, August 26, 2011

Hurricane Hysteria

You'd think it was the end of the world. Newspaper headlines screaming doom for the whole Eastern part of the states. I've seen this before. Back in the 80s. I think it was in August too. I was working in a restaurant in Manhattan and we stayed up til all hours moving stock above flood level and boarding up the windows. The city hunkered down and waited. And waited. And nothing happened. It didn't even rain.

Then there was the September we got the tail of a hurricane here. Being outside was like having buckets of water thrown in your face. It came down sideways. We had a big party that night at the Common Ground. And whattaya know, it wasn't the end of the world, just rain and some wind. Like a hurricane!

I'm really sick of this drama from the media. If bad weather is coming, it's coming. There's nothing to stop it. But it's not gonna help anything to give old people heart attacks and whip the east coast into a frenzy of terror.

And another thing- since when did politicians start contributing to public hysteria like they all wrote headlines for the New York Post, that piece of filth?

Calm the hell down. It may not happen at all! Even if it does, it's rain. It's not a multitude of fire-breathing death dragons from on high. Jesus!

4 comments:

CarrieBoo said...

Your posts crack me up. As serious as the topics are, you have such a way with words! I swear they just like to side-track everyone from the real issues. Wednesday night here is just like you described with wind and rain ripping sideways (and crazy lightning). I thought it was better than TV.

Austan said...

It is better than TV!

I guess I'm all better. ;)

annieoatcake said...

I know! I've been wondering that myself. The way the right wing fanatics at the Daily Mail have been prattling on, you'd think the States are in the midst of some sort of armageddon!

I agree with CarrieBoo, they just like to divert us from the real issues...

Austan said...

Annie- The housing authority has sent out flyers now, evacuation plans because we live in a flood plane (which hasn't flooded since 1938). All the oldsters are packing their bivouac gear and the markets are putting out pallets of water and broadcasting in-store warnings of what to buy.

Can't wait to see what the gummint does while we're all busy panicking...