Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Aunt Muriel's Hot Potato Salad

Aunt Muriel was my stepfather's sister. She was one of the old guard NYC office workers with that lovely New York- British- Hollywood accent of the 1940s. A stubborn character, pretty tactless, often scary, with a humor that would stun you in unsuspecting moments. In the rare times I ate her cooking I was impressed and the last time I saw her she made a hot potato salad for my brother and me that I couldn't forget. With a little cajoling she sent it to me and here it is.

Hot Potato Salad

6 small potatoes, peeled
1 small onion, chopped
4 slices bacon, finely chopped
1 egg
1/4 c. cider vinegar

Boil potatoes, sprinkle with onion. Fry bacon til crisp. Add a few drops of vinegar to egg and beat. Add egg mix to pan. When this begins to thicken remove from heat at once. Stir well and pour over potatoes and onion. Cover. Let sit about 1/2 hour and stir once before serving.

She signed the recipe card, "Good luck." How very typical.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to make a hot potato salad for my family until they asked me to stop. lol. I liked it. Hubby is very particular about his potato salad. He won't eat anyone's but mine.

Austan said...

Yeah, people pick something they love and won't accept substitutes. After having my friend's mashed potatoes,I won't eat anyone else's, even my own. :D

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Our family used to make that same salad, only we called it German potato salad. Yummy.

Austan said...

Well, Aunt Muriel was of German descent, as was her sweet husband. Good people.