Friday, January 29, 2010

Ding Dong! Church Ladies Calling

OK I dropped everything to write this short blog.

This morning, awaiting my prescriptions in hellpaingoddammit mode, a knock at the door, well, light battering might describe it. I get up, yell, "I'm coming", and open the door. There are two middle-aged women in very 70s suburban winter dress. One says, "Oh I see you have trouble and you came to the door." The other launches right into the salespitch, "We just wanted to spread some neighborly cheer in these sad and troubled times...blah blah blagh." Dramatic pause. "These are such hard times." Both of their banana-curled blonde heads dip in a nod to mark something or other. The shorter one holds up a book, a stormcloud sunset shot with infotainment faith font in white, saying something comforting and threatening in a very white-people-only way. "I'm not Christian, thanks," I say, and make to close the door. "Well, maybe you'd just like to have this book and give it some thought." I laugh. "I'd like to go sit down," I say. Then both start chattering. I raise my hand and wave and close the door to their bye-byes.

I thought I was safe here.

No comments: